K-1 Fiancé visa is basically granted to a fiancé of a US citizen who is a citizen of a foreign country.  With this visa, fiancé is allowed to travel to the US and enter into marriage with his or her fiance(e) who is a US citizen within 90 days upon arrival.  Once in the US, the non-US citizen fiancé needs to apply for an green card (LPR) with the DHS under the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).  The LPR shall grant the immigrant a permanent resident status.

Applying for a K-1 or Fiancé visa is not as easy as it seems because many requirements have to be met.  A non-US citizen fiancé and the sponsor in the US have to accomplish the following:

  1. File a Petition.  The US citizen or the sponsor must file a Petition for Alien Fiancé or Form I-129F at nearest USCIS office.  This specific form cannot, however, be filed in any US Consulate, Embassy or USCIS office outside of the US.  After the petition is approved, it will be forwarded to the National Visa Center for processing.  After which, it will be sent to the US Consulate or Embassy of the where the fiancé lives.
  2. Visa Application.  After the US Consulate or Embassy receives the petition from the NVC, the ball is now given to the fiancé.  The fiancé is given an instruction as to where he or she should undergo a medical examination.  An interview as well as a digital fingerprinting shall, likewise, be conducted.

Below are the requirements that must be provided by the K-1 Fiancé visa applicants:

  1. A valid passport to the US.  Its validity date should be at least 6 months.
  2. Death or divorce certificate or previous husband or wife, if any.  This applies to both the US citizen and to the non-US citizen fiancé.
  3. Police certificates issued in the current country of residence and other countries where the fiancé has lived for at least 6 months since he or she was 16 years old.
  4. Result of medical examination.
  5. Proof of financial support.  In case this is not yet available, an Affidavit of Support of Form I-134 may be requested.
  6. 2 copies of 2×2 pictures.
  7. The fiancé must be able to show a proof of relationship with the US citizen.
  8. Payment for certain fees.

The US Consulate or Embassy sometimes asks for additional requirements like photos and other documents that would further prove the relationship of the fiancé with the US citizen or sponsor. It is also important for K-1 or Fiancé visa applicants to bring with them the necessary requirements during the scheduled interview, which includes original and photocopied documents.

Additional resources

Marriage Visa
Getting your green card via marriage
Entry spouse visa K3

What steps to take next 

  1. Sign Up for our weekly awesome & useful Visa Updates. It’s Free & straight to the point so you can stay updated, motivated and supported. Also, you will receive 10% discount for all our services & a small gift from us! 
  2. Leave a reply with any questions that you have. 
  3. Order initial FREE consultation with us! Click here to order your consultation today. 
Sign Up & Get Free Visa Manual
  • Learn How to Work in the U.S.
  • Learn How to Start Your Business in the U.S.
  • Learn How to Get Your Green Card & Life that You Want
If you join our mailing list TODAY, you are going to receive a FREE sample of our Work Visa & Investor Visa Guide to get you started moving toward your dream today!

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers