If you stay in the U.S. beyond the allowed time period, you are becoming an undocumented alien subject to the removal proceeding.
What is I-94 card?
An I-94 card used to be a white card denoting arrival and departure information of particular visitors coming or leaving the U.S. I-94 cards are filled out by non-immigrant visitors when entering the country. It’s important to keep in mind that you may have your visa issued for period of ten (10) years but you are only allow to stay in the US for period stated on this I-94 card. Additionally, in case you decide to stay in the US longer beyond your original stay, you must apply for a change of legal status and then you have to present I-94 card with your application. There has been a change and I-94 white card is no longer in use. When entering the POE, you will be directed to access your online I-94 card by the immigration officer.
Some of the key requirements for changing the legal status in the U.S. are following:
- You must be in the US legally
- You must submit I-94 card, I-539 form and other supporting documents
- Pay the filing fee that is 290 USD
- Submit supporting documentations including bank statements, letter of intent indicating the purpose of your stay, show tights to your home-country and show intent to return to your home-country.
Did you like this article?
- Sign Up for our weekly Visa Updates. It’s Free & straight to the point so you can stay updated, motivated and supported.
- Leave a reply with any questions that you have or share your experience.
- Order initial FREE consultation with us! Click here to order your consultation today.