How Do I Change My Legal Status in the U.S.


Staying in the US out of status has its own negative consequences. Therefore, it’s advisable to change the status while in the U.S. rather than stay out of your status. Such consequences include deportation, denial of admittance to the U.S. for at least 3 to 10 years. Because it is possible to change your legal status from one type of visa to another including change from immigrant visa to a citizenship, we certainly encourage all visitors change their status.

Before applying for a change of status, there are some requirements that must be met:

  • You must have been lawfully admitted to the US.
  • You must have a clean criminal record while in the US.
  • Submit the application for a change of status. Use I-539 Form when changing or extending your current status.

Change of legal status is possible for most of the visitors. However, there are certain individuals who cannot apply for a change of status. Aliens in transit can’t apply so can’t crewmen, fiancé or dependents to the fiancée, a spouse or minor child accompanying you to U.S. while in transit and certain visitors on J-1 visa must return to their homecountry upon completion of their program.

Did you like this article?

  1. Sign Up for our weekly awesome & useful Visa Updates. It’s Free & straight to the point so you can stay updated, motivated and supported.
  2. Leave a reply with any questions that you have or share your story!  
  3. Order initial FREE consultation with us! Click here to order your consultation today. 
  4. Get social and share this article with friends.  




  1. Dear friends,

    Im study English right now and one company told me that they want to be my sponsor to work in the USA. ¿Where I need to go to change my status student VISA to work VISA and what papers I need to bring?
    Best Regards,
    Daniel Pintó

    • Dear Daniel,
      thanks for contacting NAO. If you like to change your status from F, student to work visa, first you need to find an employer. Once you have a potential employer, dont hesitate to contact us at and NAO attorneys would be very happy to assist you further.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Sign Up & Get Free Visa Manual
  • Learn How to Work in the U.S.
  • Learn How to Start Your Business in the U.S.
  • Learn How to Get Your Green Card & Life that You Want
If you join our mailing list TODAY, you are going to receive a FREE sample of our Work Visa & Investor Visa Guide to get you started moving toward your dream today!

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers