How to apply for Social Security Number in the U.S.?
In the United States of America, one needs to have a social security number if he/she is not a citizen of the country to be able to work in the country. Social Security Number is a unique reference number ascribed to each person within the social security system. This will enable a holder to be entitled to some benefits.
It is good to note that one will not be able to get a job without the social security number. One who is authorised by the department of homeland security (DHS) will not be able to enjoy social security benefits from the government. Therefore, it’s essential to apply for a Social security number (SSN). Social security number is use to report wages to the government and to determine a person’s eligibility for social security benefits. Therefore, social security number is required before anyone can get a job and enjoy social security benefits.
How to apply for SSN?
If you are at least 18 years of age you can apply for this number. Once you applied, it will arrive via post office to your home address in the U.S.
Social security numbers are assigned by the Social Security Administration. This body has its offices in most cities in the U.S. Check the nearest SSN office near you by:
· Visiting their website and
· By calling the number 1-800-772-1213.
To apply for the social security number you need to visit the office with the following:
· Name Evidence
· Passport photograph
· EAC (i.e. work permit)
· A local mail address evidence (where the card and other information can be forwarded to) etc.
The forms are in different languages, so you do not need to worry about that. If the information needed for the SSN is complete, the officer will tell you that the social security card will be mailed within a few weeks. It will have your name any other restrictions printed on it. This card should be handled with care; this is because the card is given once in a lifetime.
Did you like this article?
- Sign Up for our weekly awesome & useful Visa Updates. It’s Free & straight to the point so you can stay updated, motivated and supported.
- Leave a reply with any questions that you have or share your experience.
- Order initial FREE consultation with us! Click here to order your consultation today.