What do you need in order to extent your visa in the U.S.?

bridgeDo you want to extent your non-immigrant stay in the United States? In order to extent your visa in the U.S. you must be in one of the non-immigrant category.

Employment-based visa categories: The employment-based visa categories are:

  • E-1, E-2,
  • E-3,
  • H-1B, H-2A, H-2B, H-3,
  • L-1A, L-1B,
  • O-1, O-2,
  • P-1, P-2, P-3,
  • Q-1,
  • R-1,
  • TN-1, TN-2.

Are you in one of the above-mentioned employment-related categories? If so, your employer must file a Form I-129, Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker. It should be done before the expiration date of your current status. Each of those above mentioned employment-based visa categories has specific limits and requirements.

Other categories:

  • A-3,
  • B-1, B-2,
  • E-1, E-2,
  • E-3,
  • G-5,
  • H-4,
  • K-3, K-4,
  • L-2,
  • M,
  • N,
  • NATO-7,
  • O-3,
  • P-4,
  • R-2,
  • All “V” categories,
  • TD.

If you are in one of the above-mentioned categories you must file a Form I-539 to extend your visa in the U.S.

Supporting documents for both employment-based categories and other categories:

You must submit all required supporting documents with your application. For example:

  • I-94,
  • Passport,
  • Copy of your diploma,
  • Employment certificate,
  • Proof of your financial support including current bank statements.

You may need other supporting documents depending on type of your visa.

Did you like this article?

  1. Sign Up for our weekly awesome & useful Visa Updates. It’s Free & straight to the point so you can stay updated, motivated and supported.
  2. Leave a reply with any questions that you have or share your experience.  
  3. Order initial FREE consultation with us! Click here to order your consultation today.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Sign Up & Get Free Visa Manual
  • Learn How to Work in the U.S.
  • Learn How to Start Your Business in the U.S.
  • Learn How to Get Your Green Card & Life that You Want
If you join our mailing list TODAY, you are going to receive a FREE sample of our Work Visa & Investor Visa Guide to get you started moving toward your dream today!

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers