E-2 Investor Treaty Visa vs L-1 Work Visa

E-2 Investor Treaty Visa

What is E-2 Investor Treaty Visa?

E-2 Investor Treaty Visa allows you to enter and work in the United States based on the investment you will be controlling. You have to renew your visa for every 2 years. There will not be any limit for you on how many times you can renew it. Your investment has to be “substantial”.

What is L-1 Visa?

L-1 visa allows you to enter the United States for working purpose in L-1 status. L-1 visa is mainly non-immigrant visa. It is valid for a limited period of time. The short time period may be from 3 months to 1 year. If you extend it, the maximum time may be 7 years; though it depends on the country from where you are entering into United States.

The main differences between L-1 Visa and E-2 Investor Treaty Visa

L1 visa is of two types: 1. Regular L1 visa and 2. Blanket L-1 visa.

The first one is available for individual and the second one is available for employers who fulfill certain criteria.

By contrast, E-2 investor treaty visa has no classification.

  • E-2 Investor Treaty Visa Requirements:

For E-2 Investor Treaty visa application, you must meet the following requirements:

  1. To be qualified as an E-2 treaty investor, you must be from a country which has a qualified treaty with the United States.
  2. You must show that you had made a substantial investment or you are involving to an activity in substantial investment making process.
  3. Your investment amount depends on your business category. You must have at least 50% of shareholding in your business project or controlling interest.

By contrast, the requirements of L-1 visa are:

  1. You must have worked abroad for 1 year for the same company.
  2. Your company must be running business in the United States during the period of your stay in the United States.
  3. You must have been employed abroad in a good rank relating “specialized knowledge” or as an executive or manager.

Read more about E-1 and E-2 visa here.
Read more about EB-5 green card via investment here.
Read more about who does qualify for E-2 visa here.

Did you like E-2 investor treaty visa vs L-1 visa article?

  1. Sign Up for our weekly Visa Updates. It’s Free & straight to the point so you can stay updated, motivated and supported.
  2. Leave a reply with any questions that you have or share your experience.  
  3. Order initial FREE consultation with us! Click here to order your consultation today.




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Sign Up & Get Free Visa Manual
  • Learn How to Work in the U.S.
  • Learn How to Start Your Business in the U.S.
  • Learn How to Get Your Green Card & Life that You Want
If you join our mailing list TODAY, you are going to receive a FREE sample of our Work Visa & Investor Visa Guide to get you started moving toward your dream today!

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers