Who does qualify for J-1 visa?


Who does qualify for J-1 visa?

J-1 visa is the non-immigrant type of visa for persons who are entering the United State of America to work or study in an exchange program. To be able to apply and get this visa the applicant must fulfill the following requirements.


The applicant should have the medical insurance. If the participant does not have the medical insurance then the sponsor will have to cover the participant’s insurance.

English language proficiency:

The participant should have pretty good English skills.


The participant must be given proper orientation by the sponsor. The sponsors also have to provide proper orientation to the participant’s family who will remain in the U.S. for some time.

Pre-arrival information:

The participants will have to be given all the information about the program and other necessary information. This is the sponsor’s job. All these information must be provided before they leave the home-country. The participants will also have to be informed about all the obligations they have to follow during the stay in the U.S.

The applicants should prepare the following supporting documentation:

  • They have to prove that they can cover their own expenses during the stay in the U.S. such as bank statements, or affidavit of support.
  • They have to prove that they plan to stay in America for short amount of time and that they are not going to over stay.
  • They have to prove that they have economic and social ties in their own country, which will compel them to return to their country once the program is over.

There are certain documents that you have to prepare before applying for the J-1 visa. These documents are mandatory and if you do not submit all of these documents, you won’t be able to get J-1 visa.

  • You will need one photograph and your valid passport.
  • You will need a proof that you have already paid your visa fees.
  • You will need a receipt of the SEVIS fee to prove that you have paid the SEVIS fees.
  • You will need to show the original copy of DS-2019 as the consular officer will need to verify the form before giving you the visa.

Anyone who wants to be part the internship program or exchange program in United States can apply for the J-1 visa. It is normally given to people who want to gain some practical training in the field that are not available in their own country. The training will have to be related to some kind of academic program otherwise the visa will not be given. However, after the end of the program the participant have to return back to their own country.

Did you like this article?

  1. Sign Up for our weekly awesome & useful Visa Updates. It’s Free & straight to the point so you can stay updated, motivated and supported.
  2. Leave a reply with any questions that you have or share your experience.  
  3. Order initial FREE consultation with us! Click here to order your consultation today.




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Sign Up & Get Free Visa Manual
  • Learn How to Work in the U.S.
  • Learn How to Start Your Business in the U.S.
  • Learn How to Get Your Green Card & Life that You Want
If you join our mailing list TODAY, you are going to receive a FREE sample of our Work Visa & Investor Visa Guide to get you started moving toward your dream today!

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers